Grid and Modularity

 “A well-made grid encourages the designer to vary the scale and placement of elements without relying wholly on arbitrary or whimsical judgements.”

(Doing this one this week because I’ve realized I’ve done the posts a bit out of order and I haven’t done this one yet)



I’ve been doing a significant number of landscape drawings this week, which has been a really fun way to do something different and experiment with a few new techniques. One such technique that I’ve discovered I really quite enjoy is the perspective grid, which is especially useful for planning out more rigid structures. The grid in this case helps me plan out correct proportions and figure out where each element should go in relation to the others. The artwork I used this most for is the one in this post, which has a sort of gothic cathedral-esque design and is therefore relatively modular. Because of this, I did have a bit of trouble getting the proportions right and getting everything to be where I needed it, but it was a good way to figure out the perspective grid and how best I could use it.


One thing about the modularity and gridwork of this piece is that it lends to the perspective. The differing sizes of each element in relation to the others gives a sense of the scale of the room, and provides a reference for the non-modular elements placed within it. Without the regular supports along either side, there would still be a sense of scale and dimension, but not quite to the point it is in the piece. In this case, the grid and modularity not only aid in the composition of the space but also in the feeling of space and scale they are able to evoke.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mirror with a Memory

Eyes and Texture

Framing