Between Life and Record

 “When viewing a photo of someone online, that image brings you closer to that person and invites you into their life.”


My online presence doesn’t pertain to selfies or really include much of my personal life at all - I make art, usually pertaining to whatever media has recently caught my fancy, and I share that art online, and I talk to people about said media and at, and that’s basically what my online existence is. But some of the principals discussed in the reading aren’t wholly exclusive to what I do. I may not be inviting people into my personal life through the sharing of photographs and selfies, but I am inviting people into specific moments and places - into my interpretation of said moments and places - through my art. 


For example, my most recent art depicts a specific moment from a specific person’s point of view, while also working to emphasize a certain tone that wasn’t necessarily fully there in the source material. I wanted to create a contrast between calm stillness and fiery distruction, which I accomplished through the distance and positioning of the “camera”. By showing the scene from a distance in the caves below, it sets the viewer apart from the action above, proving a quiet moment of contemplation in regards to the destructive force passing above. In this way, the viewer experiences not only the moment in question but also my personal interpretation and depiction of said moment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mirror with a Memory

Eyes and Texture

Framing